Women's Directorate

Women's Directorate

Women's Directorate

Violence: Getting help

How to help a woman who is experiencing abuse 147 KB
Steps toward independence
Safety planning 167 KB
Yukon emergency contact numbers
Online safety

Steps toward independance

Obtain financial assistance | Protection orders | Concerns about firearms | Your own bank account | Change your locks | Get a new phone number | New electricity account | Change your mailing address | Replace your Yukon health card


Obtain financial assistance

  • Childcare subsidy: There are provisions for emergency situations. Call 667-3492 (toll free 1-800-661-0408) to speak to someone about applying. Location: 9010 Quartz Road (Whitehorse, Yukon).
  • Social assistance
    • Yukon government: Call 667-5674 to find out if you're eligible or to make an appointment. Location: 3168 3rd Avenue (Whitehorse, Yukon).
    • Indian and Northern Affairs Canada: Call 667-3399 to find out if you're eligible or make an appointment. Location: Room 122, 100 Main Street (Elijah Smith Building in Whitehorse, Yukon).
  • Social housing
    • To find out if you are eligible or to apply call 667-5712 in Whitehorse or 1-800-661-0408 for the communities.
    • Social housing is based on individual circumstances and the availability of units.
    • Rent is approximately 25% of your gross monthly income or a pre-set amount if you are on social assistance.
    • Grey Mountain Housing Society: Provides housing to people of Aboriginal ancestry. Call 633-4880.
  • Legal assistance
    • Law line Whitehorse: 667-5297 or toll-free in the communities 1-867-668-5297
    • Lawyer referral service: Meet with a lawyer for 30 minutes for a fee of $30. Call 668-4231.
    • Neighborhood Law Centre: Free legal advice to low-income individuals. They can assist with legal services related to landlord-tenant or housing matters, social assistance or employment insurance issues. Schedule an appointment or attend a drop-in clinic Tuesdays from 1-4 p.m. In Whitehorse call 667-5255. Phone consultations are available in the communities by calling toll-free 1-800-661-0408 extension 5210. Location: Suite 200 – 2131 2nd Avenue, Whitehorse.

Protection orders

Protective court orders can provide assistance or protection to victims of violence. Protective orders are available through the RCMP or can be obtained through victim services (667-8500).

  • Emergency intervention order
    • Can allow you and your children to stay in your own home, if it is safe.
    • Can have the abusive person removed from your home by a police officer (designate).
    • Issued over the phone by certain Justices of the Peace.
  • Victim's assistance order
    • Can give you temporary possession of personal property
    • Can prevent the abusive person from taking or damaging your property
    • Can require the abusive person to pay you or your children for any loss of income, medical expenses, moving and legal expenses
    • Can only be issued by a Territorial Court Judge. You may have to apply and attend court
  • Warrant of entry (help from others)
    • Issued by a JP or Territorial Court Judge
    • Can authorize a police officer to enter your residence, assist or remove you, and search the home for signs of violence to use as evidence
  • Peace bond
    • Order made by a Judge or Justice of the Peace that tells a person to be of good behaviour and to keep the peace.
    • May include conditions the person must follow for a set time up to 12 months. The most common condition is that the person not have any direct or indirect contact with you. You can also ask the Court to place other conditions on the person, for example, no access to your residence or no access to your children except through a third person such as a social worker. To get a Peace Bond, first go to the RCMP and explain why you want one. Victim Services can also help you with this process (667-8500 or toll free 1-800-661-0408, extension 8500).

Concerns about firearms

  • You can call 1-800-731-4000 and follow the instructions to record a 'spousal concern' if your partner applies for or acquires a firearms license. A firearms officer will then review an existing firearms license or application.
  • If you have other concerns about firearms, or if you are not sure if your partner has a license, contact the RCMP.

Your own bank account

  • Plan ahead: You will need 1 piece of photo identification and a second accredited form of identification such as: Canadian driver’s licence | Passport | Certificate of Canadian citizenship | birth certificate | social insurance card | old age card | Status card | health card.
  • Make an appointment: Some banks have walk-in appointments so make sure you check. It can be a good idea to use a different bank than before to avoid mix-ups.

Change your locks

  • Approximate costs: House call: $50 | Per door: $9 | Per key: $3
  • Note: In some cases, landlords will cover costs of security features (deadbolts, peepholes, etc.)

Get a new phone number

Mobile phones

  • Available from several dealers in Whitehorse.
  • New accounts require you are 19 years or older and 2 pieces of identification.
  • Prices vary depending on the mobile device and plan.


You don’t need a deposit if:

  • You have an existing account with Northwestel.
  • There is a record of a previous account (in good standing) in your name with Northwestel, Bell or Telus.
  • You can set up pre-authorized payment with a bank or a credit card.

You need a deposit if there is no previous record of a phone line in your name. This can cost between $100 and $240 depending on the services selected. Security features like call display and unlisted numbers may cost extra but social assistance may cover these costs if they are aware of the safety issues.

To set up a new account you will need to be 19 years or older. You will need to provide personal information such as your date of birth, social insurance number, driver’s licence number, place of work, etc.

New electricity account

  • Call: Yukon Electric at 633-7000
  • New account fee: $16.05
  • Deposit: The amount depends on the electrical consumption of the home. If you have a daytime phone number or an employment phone number you might not need a deposit.

Change your mailing address

  • Canada Post
  • Canada pension
  • Employment Insurance and changes to a social insurance number. Contact Human Resources Canada at 667-5083 or go to the office at 125–300 Main Street in Whitehorse. Canada Revenue Agency at 1-800-959-8281or go to the office at 120–300 Main Street in Whitehorse. Apply for a marital status change after 90 days of separation.

Replace your Yukon health care card

  • General inquiries: 667-5209
  • In person: Health Services branch at 204 Lambert Street (4th floor, Financial Plaza building) in Whitehorse.

Yukon emergency contact numbers

  • RCMP (Whitehorse): Dial 911
  • RCMP (Yukon communities): Dial the prefix of your community followed by 5555
  • Victim Services – Family Violence Prevention Unit | M-F, 8:30 to 5 p.m. | 667-8500 or 1-800-661-0408, extension 8500
  • VictimLINK | 24 hours | 1-800-563-0808

Transition homes

  • Kaushee’s Place (Transition Home) | Whitehorse | 24 hours | 668-5733
  • Dawson City Women’s Shelter | 993-5086
  • Watson Lake Transition Home | 536-7233

Victims' services

  • Victim Services - Family Violence Prevention Unit | Whitehorse | 667-8500 or toll free 1-800-661-0408 ext. 8500
  • Kaushee’s Place (Transition Home) | Whitehorse | 24 hours | 668-5733
  • Dawson City Victim Services Coordinator | 993-5831
  • Watson Lake Victim Services Coordinator | 536-2541
  • VictimLINK | 24 hours | 1-800-563-0808

Counseling/Support services (Whitehorse)

  • Alcohol and Drug Services | 667-5777
  • Detox Centre | 24 hours | 667-8473
  • Child Abuse Treatment Services | 667-8227
  • Family and Children’s Services | 667-3002
  • Family Violence Prevention Unit | 667-8500 or toll free 1-800-661-0408 ext. 8500
  • Les EssentiELLEs (French service) | 668-2636
  • Mental Health Services | 667-8346
  • Skookum Jim Friendship Centre | 633-7680
  • Yukon Council on Disability | 668-6703
  • Yukon Family Services Association | 667-2970
  • Yukon government Employee Assistance Program | 668-3277
  • Women’s Advocate (Women’s Centre) | 667-2693

Legal information and support

  • The Law Line | Whitehorse | 668-5297 or toll free 1-866-667-4305
  • The Lawyer Referral Service | Whitehorse | 668-4231
  • Legal Aid | Whitehorse | 667-5210 or toll free 1-800-661-0408 ext. 5210

Other resources

  • Childcare Subsidy | 667-3492
  • Whitehorse Hospital | 393-8700
  • Whitehorse Housing | 667-5712
  • Grey Mountain Housing Society (First Nations) | 633-4880

Online safety

  • Email account: Make sure your account is secure. Choose a password your (ex) partner will not be able to guess.
  • Email: Print and save threatening or harassing emails. These can be used as evidence of abuse.
  • Delete your web browser history in your browser settings: This will prevent the abuser from seeing information you have viewed online.